Sunday, November 2, 2008

Two Little Boys


by Duncan Sarkies.

I'm in a real quandary with this book. It is very rare I find a book I just don't enjoy, and oddly enough, I feel guilty if I don't like a book, especially one by a New Zealand writer, as I feel somehow I'm letting the side down.

But the simple fact of the matter is I didn't warm to this one. I loved the idea, someone accidentally runs over a Norwegian backpacker, panics somewhat, makes a number of very bad decisions, not the least of them being roping in his old mate to help him clean up the mess, and it all spirals down hill for them from there.

I fear it was too blokey for me. I could handle a few chapters of blokishness, but after a while it wore thin and reminded me of a flatmate from my Thames days and his sidekick who probably were daft enough to do a few of the things mentioned, especially under the influence of some of the substances mentioned. Yes, I did find parts of it very funny, so it wasn't all lost on me, but overall, it wasn't my cup of tea.

In saying all this, I recall from when the book came out there were plenty of good reviews and people found it hilarious. So there is a big audience out there who will love this book.

So apologies, Duncan. Being a writer I know how much you put into a novel, and like I said, I feel bad for not liking it, but hey, if you can't be honest in a review on your own blog, when can you be, and after all, it's not like I'm The Listener or anything, it's just the skewed view of one conservative housewife from Dunedin.

No comments: