Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chilling...

...out.

I confess to having had a glorious week of doing nothing. Well, that's not entirely accurate, I had two speaking engagements, one at the University of Otago with fellow Dunedin crime writer Liam MacIlvanney, and another in Wellington. Oh, and my radio show. I also had the usual running around after the kids and daily life, but other than that I have been reading books, and gardening.

Our garden is amazing at this time of year, the rhododendrons are in full bloom, there are still all sorts of spring flowers poking through, the cherry trees are a mass of white and pink blossom, the clematis is flowering, as are the kowhai trees, which are full of a myriad of bird life gorging on the nectar. Alas, the weeds are going nuts too, so I've had my work cut out. So instead of writing, I've been doing other more relaxing things...










But when you're surrounded by these colours, it's hard not to head out to the garden...

8 comments:

Kerrie said...

lovely photos Vanda - it is a lovely time of the year isn't it? - I don't think much of your idea of doing nothing though

Anonymous said...

Vanda - These are wonderful 'photos! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Joanne Ganley said...

Your garden is flourishing! Look at those colours! Hmm, I think it’ll look great in my nice garden …

Kiwicraig said...

Wow. Nice garden Vanda - when I first opened the post I thought they must have been Botanic Garden pics. You have a lovely home garden there, terrific stuff.

J.T. Webster said...

Your garden is beautiful. Glad you have a little more time to get out in it and enjoy it.

Dorte H said...

So beautiful!

I´d find reading or writing in the garden far more relaxed than weeding, though :D

Vanda Symon said...

My office window has a view out to the back garden, which is just as wonderful as the front one in the pictures. It makes for a tranquil workspace, if only I can resist the urge to get out there and get gardening!

Mary McCallum said...

Ooh lovely - lucky you! I forgot you had a gig in Wellington - Lower Hutt in fact, not far from me - or I would have been there with bells on. Did you get a good crowd?