Wednesday, October 12, 2011

SheKilda - Wow!

I'm back in the real world, sitting at my computer with a happy smile on my face thinking of the fabulous time I had at SheKilda in Melbourne.

Firstly congratulations to the wonderful group of women brave enough to organise a second SheKilda Australian Women Crime Writers convention, it was a fabulous occasion and I felt privileged to be a part of it. (And yes, Lindy Cameron, there were plenty of witnesses who heard you say you'll happily do it again!) There was a very full programme, too full in fact as there were sessions I wanted to go to but missed because I couldn't be in two places at once! There was something there for everyone, and it was great to be around so many fabulous Australian women writers. Margie Orford and Shamini Flint, my fellow international guests were amazing, funny and very clever, and I learned a lot from them. In fact I came away from the weekend feeling happily knackered and mentally invigorated, it's left me dying to get back to my writing.

The body in the pool - yes that is a green stiletto sticking out of her eye!

A sense of fun infused the whole convention, as was evident by the 'body in the pool' which had to be the body by the pool due to the inclement weather - her death was a mystery we enjoyed trying to solve, and the perpetrator of the crime surprised us all, but no one was as surprised as she was. Carmel Shute, I didn't know you had it in you!

I also loved the fact it was one of those conventions where lunches and morning teas were provided there, so you had a great opportunity to mingle with the readers and writers and chat over a bite to eat and a drink, it made it feel very intimate and personal.

I'll report over the next few days on individual sessions I attended, and the Davitt Awards Night.

But for now, I'll sit here smiling, remembering, and marveling that I managed to sneak in 200gm under the weight limit for my luggage considering how many books I brought!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - Sounds wonderful!! Wish I could've been there...

Kiwicraig said...

Awesome, glad you had a terrific time Vanda.

theatremania said...

it was great to see and hear you at shekilda Vanda. Glad you enjoyed it as much as the audience did.

Vanda Symon said...

It was brilliant. I'll be dining out on the memories for a long time!